Close Observation Unit
• Visiting hours are from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm
• A support person is permitted to remain with the patient at all times. This person is considered a visitor.
• Visits are restricted to two visitors at a time.
• We encourage rest periods between visits.
• Children age 14 and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
• Dial 2223 on the intercom phone outside the unit and please wait for permission to enter,
as the Close Observation Unit is a restricted access area.
• Further questions or concerns may be directed to the nurse’s station at 258- or 348-2223.
Close Observation Reception Areas
• There is one main reception area for family use:
It is located outside the Close Observation Unit next to the Entrance B. This is a shared
reception area with surgery.
• The telephone number to the reception area is also available for use, phone: 258- or 348-4091.
Close Observation Unit is committed to enhancing communication by:
• Using the communication boards in each room to share information and keep everyone involved
updated in our patient’s care.
• Using bedside shift report to introduce the new nurse and share information about our patient’s care.
Bedside Shift Report
Bedside shift report allows your nurses to exchange information regarding your progress at each shift change. This is done twice a day at
7 am and 7 pm at your bedside so you can actively participate in your care and assist in setting goals to promote your recovery.
This process will:
• give you the opportunity to meet the oncoming nurse.
• ask questions about your care.
• discuss any concerns you may have regarding your stay at Sarah Bush Lincoln.
Because your privacy is important to us, you will be given the option of having any visitors or family present during the report. Please inform your nurse if there are any concerns. If you are resting during report time, we will not wake you. When you are ready, your nurse will be happy to provide you with the information shared during report.
Please inform your nurse or the Director of the Close Observation Unit should you have any questions, comments, or suggestions.
The Close Observation Unit staff strives to provide excellent care and make this the best hospital experience for your family member. We thank you for this opportunity.